Here's The translation of that crazy Japanese Interview done by our very own Erin!
- 1. Q: What is your real name?
A: Ha Ling Chun
- 2. Q: When were you born?
A: July 26, 1957. (Actually, June 27th was said, but it seems
Big Brother Yuen Biao's little sister made a mistake.) [*I'm not sure what
this means. Perhaps the "little sister" is translating? Or maybe the
interviewer was originally told June 27 (the passive tense is used in the
- 3. Q: Where were you born?
A: Hong Kong
- 4. Q: What are your measurements?
A: Height: 5' 7 1/2" (170 cm)
Weight: 145 lbs (65 kgs)
B: 40" (100 cm) -- this refers to measurement around his
chest. My friend told me it's very unusual for this to be used for a man,
but judging by one or two of the later questions, I think perhaps they use
the same questions for everyone they interview.
Shoe size: 6 1/2 (24.5cm)
W: 27-28" (67.5-70 cm) -- waist
H: 35" (87.5 cm) -- hip size; measurement around his
- 5. Q: What is your blood type?
A: I don't know! (It's O.) [*Japanese classify a person's
character according to his/her blood type, the way Americans do with monthly
zodiacal signs and Chinese do with yearly zodiacal signs. They are always
stunned when a person doesn't know his/her blood type.]
- 6. Q: How is your eyesight?
A: Very good! (Perhaps they don't have eye exams abroad?)
- 7. Q: What are your jeans and shirt sizes?
A: Jeans: 28"; shirt: L -- 27 inches.
- 8. Q: Where did you graduate Junior High School?
A: I didn't go to junior high school. I did study the basics,
though. [*The word used for "basics" translates roughly to ABCs.] However, I
much prefered kung fu over studying.
- 9. Q: What did you study a lot [or well]?
A: Kung fu. I had done it since I was about 4 years old. (It seems
that when he was 6 years old, he entered Master Yuen's place.)
- 10. Q: Do you currently belong to any clubs?
A: Sheraton Health Club.
- 11. Q: What was your best subject? [*in school]
A: Physical education.
- 12. Q: Your worst subject?
- 13: Q: What are your hobbies/interests?
A: American pool, running, and sleep.
- 14: Q: What are you especially good at?
A: Kung fu, of course.
- 15. Q: What are your strong points?
A: Up to now, I have found many things I'm good at.
- 16. Q: What are your faults [weak points]?
A: So far, I haven't found any. (Can this be true?)
- 17. Q: When you look at yourself, what kind of person do you see?
A: Friendly and sincere. (Is this also true?)
- 18. Q: How many people comprise your family?
A: 10 (Father, Mother, 3 older sisters, one older brother, and 3
- 19. Q: What type of family do you desire? [*I can't tell if this refers
to the family he comes from (i.e. would he have prefered a smaller/larger
family, etc.) or his future family.]
A: Just like my own family.
- 20. Q: Where do you live?
A: In an apartment (condominium). 1500 square feet.
- 21. Q: What Japanese food do you like?
A: Sukiyaki [*pan-cooked beef with vegetables], Shabu shabu [*a
dish with the same ingredients as sukiyaki, but cooked into a broth, into
which extremely thin slices of raw beef are dipped for a few seconds], eel
[*some sort of eel dish that I've never heard of and that isn't in my
dictionary -- the characters are "eel" and "heavy"]
- 22. Q: What Chinese (Cantonese) food do you like?
A: Fish dishes.
- 23: Q: Is there any food you absolutely won't eat?
- 24: Q: What drinks do you like?
A: Beer, brandy, and orange juice.
- 25. Q: What sports do you watch often?
A: Football (soccer) and boxing.
- 26. Q: What country would you like to visit?
A: If possible, I'd like to travel all over the world.
- 27. Q: What country would you like to live in? [*literally: try living
- 28. Q: What was the happiest moment of your life, so far?
A: I'm always happy. (Cool, huh?)
- 29. Q: What TV shows do you watch often?
A: Nothing in particular.
- 30. Q: What movies do you like?
A: Action movies.
- 31. Q: Among the movies you've seen recently, is there one you thought
A: Rambo: First Blood.
- 32. Q: What is your favorite color?
A: Dark green.
- 33. Q: What fashions do you like?
A: The newest styles (Japanese and Italian styles.)
- 34. Q: Are there any fashions you dislike?
A: I can't really say.
- 35. Q: What is your favorite flower?
A: The rose.
- 36. Q: Why did you decide to get into kung fu?
A: Because I hated studying and enjoyed kung fu.
- 37. Q: What do movies mean to you?
A: Movies are my work, and movies are what/who I am.
- 38. Q: What about kids?
A: I *love* kids! [*very emphatic here]
- 39. Q: What is something you are very interested in [*or crazy about]?
A: Navy General
- 40. Q: What is your ambition for the future?
A: I would like to direct.
- 41. Q: What do you see yourself doing in 20 years?
A: Probably making good movies.
- 42. Q: What do you want to do when you are old?
A: Travel around the world with my wife.
- 43. Q: What is the one thing you want most?
A: There are lots of things I want.
- 44. Q: Do you *always* read your fan mail?
A: Of course!
- 45. Q: What about Japanese fans?
A: When I discovered I have fans in Japan, I was thrilled!
- 46. Q: What fans have made the most profound [*deepest] impression on
A: Japanese fans.
- 47. Q: What do you want from your fans?
A: I would like them to support me and continue to be my fans
- 48. Q: Your first love? [*the interviewer doesn't specify what *exactly*
s/he wants to know.]
A: I was 24 1/2 years old.
- 49. Q: What is your favorite food? [*it is possible that this actually
asks what food he is good at preparing, but I don't think so]
A: Steamed minced pork (a dish where the meat is cut very finely)
- 50. Q: Do you own a car?
A: Yes. A Mercedes 450SL.
- 51. Q: Do you enjoy traveling?
A: Yes, very much.
- 52. Q: What do you like about Japan?
A: I like Japan itself. Also, little Japanese girls are very kind
and cute. [*"cute" is a *very* popular word in Japan, and I think it's
possible he used a word with a slightly different meaning here and the
translator used "cute" -- can't be sure though]
- 53. Q: What about Japan do you dislike?
- 54. Q: Whom do you hold in high esteem?
A: My father.
- 55. Q: How much do you know about Japan?
A: Actually, not very much.
- 56. Q: Have you learned much Japanese?
A: I hate to say it, but I can't speak any Japanese. (Actually, he
can say such things as "arigato" ["thanks"] and "chotto matte" ["wait a
second" or "hold on"].)
- 57. Q: What is your favorite word?
A: [*the Japanese translation of his answer is "gi" which means
"righteousness", "justice", or "honor" in English. I can't tell if all three
meanings attach to the Chinese word he used.]
- 58. Q: Do you have any speech mannerisms? [*speech habits or
- 59. Q: What part of body do you have confidence in? [*there's no
indication of whether they are refering to *his* body or the human body in
general. By his answer, I would guess probably his body, but there's no way
to tell for sure.]
A: The whole body! All of it!
- 60. Q: What does marriage mean to you?
A: As for me, marriage is one of the things I am longing for. It is
deeply connected with "love" and "life".
- 61. Q: What is a fan to you?
A: Fans are my friends, good friends.
- 62. Q: What do women mean to you?
A: For me, women [or a woman] are [is] essential. [*Japanese
doesn't use plurals, so the meaning is a bit ambiguous here.]
- 63. Q: What kind of magazines do you like?
A: Kung fu and sports magazines, and the like.
- 64. Q: Do you have a favorite coffee shop?
A: There are many in Japan and Italy that I like.
- 65. Q: Describe yourself in one word.
- 66. Q: What is your motto?
A: [will provide answer later]
- 67. Q: What are your favorite numbers?
A: 2, 3, 6, 8
- 68. Q: What type of women do you like?
A: One who is gentle/kind, who is calm/quiet. [*the words used have
two similar meanings, so I just included both]
- 69. Q: Do you have any worries?
- 70. Q: What are your newest movies?
A: [*I can't read the answers to these. I think these might
actually be the Chinese titles, since I can find the characters in my
dictionary, but not the "words" (Japanese usually uses two or more Chinese
characters to write a word). The first one is probably Champions (although
it says "Champion Hawk", or Wave + cow). I can't really even guess at the
other two. ]
- 71. Q: Who is your favorite singer?
A: Theresa Ten.
- 72. Q: What is your favorite music?
A: Disco music. [*It's possible he's referring to music played at a
- 73. Q: What is your favorite side dish?
A: Vegetables (Chinese spinach).
- 74. Q: What is your favorite car?
A: Ferrari, Mercedes Benz, Porche.
- 75. Q: Favorite foreign star?
A: Sylvester Stallone.
- 76. Q: Favorite foreign singer?
A: Paul McCartney, Danhill.
- 77. Q: Favorite song?
A: "I Just Called to Say I Love You"
- 78. Q: What is your religion?
- 79. Q: What are your favorite buildings?
- 80. Q: What is your favorite small animal?
A: Dog. (It seems Big Brother has dogs named Bobby and Fyui Fyui.)
[* Fyui fyui is written with the character for "manure" or "fat" repeated
- 81. Q: What is your favorite big animal?
A: Black Panther.
- 82. Q: What is your favorite perfume [*cologne?]?
- 83. Q: What is your favorite tabacco?
- 84. Q: What is your favorite fruit?
- 85. Q: What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
- 86. Q: What languages do you use often?
A: Mandarin and Cantonese.
- 87. Q: Is there a person whom you will never forget?
A: Sifu. (A teacher.)
- 88. Q: What is the longest letter you ever wrote?
A: It was 50 pages long.
- 89. Q: When did you first earn money for yourself?
A: When I was 5 years old.
- 90. Q: What is the most impressive hotel you've seen?
A: "Hong Kong Liquor Store" (a hotel in Hong Kong).
- 91. Q: What place has made the biggest impression on you?
- 92. Q: What was the longest you ever slept?
A: 38 hours.
- 93. Q: How high were the highest heels you ever wore?
A: 1/2 inch.
- 94. Q: What is the most you ever weighed?
A: 150 pounds. (68 kgs)
- 95. Q: What color do you dislike?
- 96. Q: Any serious injuries?
A: I don't think there's been anything really serious. I am not
sure how many times I've actually injured myself.
- 97. Q: If you were to change professions, what would you choose to be?
A: A business man. [*This word also means industrialist.]
- 98. Q: What was the longest you were ever in a car?
A: The longest was when I was in Africa, and I was in the car for 30
- 99. Q: At what age would you like to get married?
A: Now, the present.
- 100. Q: How many kids do you want?
A: I'd like a daughter. [*I guess that means just one?]
- 101. Q: What is your favorite saying?
A: [I'll get back to you on this]
Back to Top